Greetings. Snoops and Kommando Kitty here. We are sharing our post this month with our cousin, Onyx (see picture above). She requested that we talk about the specialness of black cats. Since Cat Forum is all cats, all the time, we agreed. But it doesn’t mean that we all aren’t pawsome.
As you know, the reason that black cats may need some extra love is that they have a bad reputation among some humans. They think that cats are bad luck.
Most of the trouble goes back a long, long time. But you know humans. Once they get an idea in their heads, sometimes it gets lost and can’t find its way out.
Many years ago, people believed black cats belonged to witches. (Probably because they could move around and not be seen at night.) Those cats were called “familiars”. A familiar is an animal-shaped demon serves a witch as a spy and companion.
Or that black cats were witches themselves. In fact, if a witch became human, the black cat would leave them. Witches were blamed for a lot of the bad luck people had in those days.
There are a few lingering negative beliefs about black cats in various part of the world:
- In Yorkshire, England, it is good luck to own a black cat, but bad luck to have one cross your path.
- In North America, it is bad luck for a black cat to cross your path but good luck to have a white one cross your path.
- Seeing a black cat in a dream means you are having trouble trusting your intuition.
- A funeral procession with a black cat means another member of the family will die.
- A black cat walking toward you is good luck. If she turns and walks away, she takes the good fortune with her.
- If a black cat crosses your path while you’re driving, turn your hat backwards and make a cross on the windshield to prevent bad luck.
On the other hand, some humans believe good things:
- In Japan, a single woman who owns a black cat will have many suitors.
- In Germany, if a black cat crosses your path from right to left, good things are coming.
- In England, giving a bride a black cat will bring her good luck.
- In Ireland and Scotland, it is good luck for a black cat to cross your path.
- To dream of a black cat is lucky.
- Finding a white hair on a black cat is lucky.
- A strange black cat on the porch brings prosperity to the owner.
- Traditionally, sailors and fishermen in Great Britain thought black cats would bring good luck and a safe return home.
- In ancient Egypt, the cat goddess Bastet represented truth and prosperity.
Fun facts and information:
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) celebrates Black Cat Appreciation Day on August 17 and October 27 is National Black Cat Day in Britain.
- The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA) recognizes 22 different breeds that can have solid black coats.
- According to a recent survey by the ASPCA, the total number of adoptions of black cats is highest of any color.
- There are three “black” fur genes: solid black, brown, and cinnamon. If a black cat has a tabby stripe gene, heavy exposure to the sun will make it look “rusty” brown.
- There is a black cat café in Himeji, Japan named Nekobiyaka.
- Professional photographers recommend that black cats be photographed on a plain background, angled toward a natural light source. On an iPhone you can tap on the cat’s face (in the picture), and use the sun icon to lighten up the picture.
Kitties, we recommend that you share this information with your human. Get the word out that black cats are just another furry addition to the family who’s a little harder to see in the dark.
Pictures courtesy of Google Images
16 thoughts on “Cat Forum: Black Cats are Pawsome”
Black cats are DEFINITELY pawsome! Our Angel Buster was a beautiful long haired, green-eyed black cat with the sweetest purrsonality.
Purrs & Head Bonks,
We love all types and colors of cats. We’re Irish/Scottish too. Daisy Mae is a Tuxedo cat but mostly charcoal so when the lights go out nobody can see her unless her white is showing.
We really like the stealth factor inKitty
We had a lovely black cat, the mighty Smudge. Nothing, but nothing, is as sleek as a black cat.
We must’ve been very lucky, because he had plenty of hidden white hairs. No matter what I wore, he could find a contrasting color for me to wear out of the house.
That’s what we like about our fur. The versatility. Purrs, Snoops and Kommando Kitty
Well, those gave us a good laff. Onyx be very purretty. We luv black kitties. We luv all kitties. Big hugs
Dezi and Raena
We cats rule. Purrs, Snoops and Kommando Kitty
I love black cats. I have 4 🙂
They can gang up on you at night 🙂
Too right, cats do get a lot of bad press at times and black cats have had it worst of all. Enlightenment seems to be be lacking in many a human, thank goodness there are so many that see the good side of black
Toodle pips and purrs
Black cats rock
I just love the second one 🙂
Thank you! It makes me think of Dracula. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by
Yes, it’s looks just like him!!! 🙂